Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cab Rehab


For months I’ve had a vision in my mind for a bamboo china cabinet. My china has been sitting in the original boxes since my wedding (seven years ago) along with two additional sets from each of my grandmothers. My dinning furniture had been in storage too through our series of moves. The china was packed and protected and I figure it was safe until I found the perfect home for it. My dinning furniture was my grandparent’s and the style is midcentury contemporary.  When we moved into our new home I was set on finding a cabinet in the same style but then thought that with the floors everything was too monochromatic. Then I saw I high gloss lacquered redo of a vintage bamboo china cabinet and a light bulb went off!! That was what I HAD TO HAVE!!  I soon found out it was easier said than done! I found a few on Etsy, Ebay and Craigslist; but of course they were on the other side of the country. My mom, Aunt and I scoured at least 12 antique and consignments shops during my last trip to the beach and I stopped at any store I passed for months. Then on whim about a month ago I checked craigslist and there it was! It was exactly what I was looking for, local and great price! I picked it up and brought it home; again, with every intention of painting it a high gloss like these examples. 
 
Once I got it in to meet it’s friends table and sideboard, it fit right in, as is! I did give it a good cleaning with wood polish, shinned up the brass finials and applied wallpaper to the back. 

Viola! Here it is and look, all my china is finally unpacked!
Buzz!

No comments:

Post a Comment